Saturday, June 20, 2009

Woke up from a dream....

I woke up this morning from a dream (dread? nightmare?) about the day I have to leave my dog behind. Really it isn’t a bad thing at all. I’m going on an adventure and I just can’t take her with me. And I’m leaving her with friends who really should be canonized (they’ve just adopted FOUR kids and are some of the best, most patient and loving parents I’ve ever seen….but that’s her blog, not mine). So it isn’t that I’m at all worried about her, but I’m worried about the logistics of the day, and I’m so so so sad even thinking about leaving her.

My dog’s name is Kiyomi and she’s the sweetest, calmest, most loving dog I’ve ever known. Which is really lucky for me because she’s the first dog I’ve ever had. I was afraid of dogs most of my life so I really got started on a good one. After being bitten by a Doberman (who thought my runny and laughing after his owner girl was threatening, decided the solution was to jump up and bite my ear),continually jumped on by the dogs across the street and my brother’s dog who was so aggressive we had to get a post office box because the mailman refused to deliver to our house anymore, I just didn’t think dogs were all that great. But then I bought a house, had an honest to god white picket fence, and figured a dog was supposed to go in that beautiful big yard to complete the perfect picture. And Kiyomi has been the perfect dog.

I left that beautiful house with the white picket fence a few years ago. I live in a wonderful 3 bedroom apartment in New York City now. I have roommates and so does Kiyomi. But that’s all about to change, which is really what this whole thing is about.

I am leaving Kiyomi with my friends, the saints, because I’m moving and really I don’t know where I’m going. I know where it all begins, I bought the one-way ticket, but where I’ll end up, I have no idea. And this all starts 5 weeks from tomorrow (cue minor panic attack). I fly to Dublin because airfare to get to Dublin was cheap and I figured once I was in Europe, I could find a way to get to Prague, which is my first major destination. But I figured, since I’d be in Dublin, why not stay a few days and actually see something? So, I’ll be in Dublin for 4 days! So excited. Then I leave Dublin on Thursday night, arrive in Prague, stay in a hostel for 2 nights and then move into the student flat on Saturday for school to begin on Monday morning.

I’m going to Prague to take the course in how to teach English as a foreign language. Lots of people have done it before me and there are lots of blogs to chronicle them, too. But this one is about me so that’s what makes it different!

P.S. I also woke up this morning with a huge bug bite on my heel, maybe that’s why my dreams turned sad?!

No comments:

Post a Comment