Sunday, June 28, 2009

respect the popcorn


I haven't been to the grocery store in over a month. Partly it's shear laziness. But the other reasons are that I'm very low on money (saving up for the trip and whatnot) and because I'm trying to eat down all the food I already have. I'm doing a pretty good job. Basically I have some trail mix, frozen bagels (but no cream cheese and almost no butter), and oatmeal left. I also have some popcorn kernels and (until this morning...now there are two) three mini bags of microwave popcorn.

I love popcorn. To me it is a main food group. I like it airpopped, microwaved, stove cooked and from the movie theatre. Pretty much anyway you serve it, I love popcorn. Recently, Orville Redenbacher came out with a Natural line and the box has 4 mini bags in it. I discovered the Salt and Black Pepper variety and fell in love. The problem was that once I found it, I couldn't seem to find it again. Until one day it magically appeared at the grocery store near my house. I was ecstatic. I bought two boxes.

Last time I went to the grocery store (over a month ago, remember) they were out. I was forced to buy the light butter variety. I had one pack of salt and pepper left, waiting until a special craving to eat it.......

This morning I woke up to see the bag in the trash can. A great sadness swept over me and I cried out. I tried not to be too upset. It is just popcorn afterall. And the girl who ate it doesn't live here and it was late and she was drunk when the travesty occurred.

But here's what bothers me: A.) why is being drunk an excuse ALWAYS for inappropriate behaviour? (and I'll admit I've used the excuse, too) and B.) I probably wouldn't be steaming about it still, about 9 hours after the discovery of the bag in the trash, if she had only just said "sorry". Instead I was told "see what happens when you save things for a special occasion?" STEAMING I AM. What the fuck were you doing in my cabinet anyhow? And then to lecture me on what I do with my own food??!!

I like this person, I really do. She's a fun girl to be around and I generally enjoy when she comes to visit. But seriously, when you're in someone else's home, respect their shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment